Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The power of a good quote. . .




I have always loved a good quote. When I was in middle school and high school I collected advertisements, I loved the Nike Ads from magazines, they always made me stop and think, put hope in my thoughts. I enjoyed the clever play on words in Abosolut ads! I had a folder stuffed with torn pages from magazines, poems that seemed at the time powerful.




As I got older, I grew to love card stores, both garden variety hallmark stores but also little gift shops and book shops that held cards to buy and send. Cards that made me laugh, described friendship and heartache. My desk drawer to this day is stuffed with cards to mail.




I guess part of me was always destined to be a litigator by trade because I got to use words to tell a story, to pull on the emotions of people, and yes often to get the last word! I also found that words were important with my love affair with jewelry and gifts and clothes. Much of items you find at http://www.bdazzledjewels.com/ are filled with messages. Stationery with cute phrases, pads of paper, shirts.




I love scouring gift shows and accessory shows and am always fascinated by the creative side of the designers and never more so than when I see a display with quotes and words and images that pull me in and on some level resonate my own story.




So here are two of my new favorites. Lizzy Flannigan at Pieces of a Girl has the most beautiful necklaces, each simple and delicate but full of inspiration and hope and truth. I love selling her pieces because they translate to so many girls and women and to their stories in life. Another love of mine is Ben's Garden! His decoupaged trinket trays carrying phrases in vintage typeface are so delicate and special and I am so happy when a customer picks one up and just "gets it" right away!




So I hope you enjoy the two phrases that i've added to this post and that they stop and make you think and make you smile and fill you with hope, even if for just a moment!

No comments: