Sunday, March 15, 2009

Its Sunday March 15th and depending on the city here is what they are celebrating!

I grew up in a very small town 10 miles west of Boston, MA. It was very norman rockwell! We graduated high school on the town green wearing white dresses and a bag piper lead us in! I grew up with many kids who were second generation to our town and in fact are now raising their own children there.

I moved to South Florida for law school, and its a cultural divide from New England to say the least. Miami is a cultural melting pot, as an example when I walk into a grocery store blocks from the business District of Brickell, the cashiers speak to me entirely in spanish. I find that many of my sentences are mixed with spanglish phrases and while my conversation isn't great, i understand a great deal!

So today is Sunday March 15th! In Miami they are celebrating Calle Ocho on SW 8th Street, a huge parade and festival that celebrates the hispanic culture. In Boston they are also having a parade but with green beer and green carnations celebrating the luck of the irish!

And so many years later, i find that while I live in the South, I will always be a northerner in my heart!

No comments: