Monday, January 19, 2009

Don't sweat the small stuff and just let go!

I don't make new years resolutions, because i break them! But with the 44th President being sworn in tomorrow, I've decided that there are a few things that would make life so much more pleasant if we all just did them. Remember the movie, Pay It Forward, well I think its time for all of us to pay it forward! Let me give you an example.

This morning I was pulling into the parking lot to pickup / drop-off dry cleaning. The lot is bad, its small, and is home to a kosher grocery, Walgreens, a salon, and the drycleaner. There was a large truck that was pulled far over to the left and so i scooted by it, the lady started honking and i could see she was furiously screaming in her car! When I finally pulled around to park I noted that her truck was parked and hanging from the rear view mirror was a jewish star, clearly made by a child, likely in school!

First, how much time did she lose by me scooting around her, 2 seconds? No big deal! Second, that Jewish Star should have reminded her to be the best person she can be, to be patient and calm and kind and to heal the world! All the negative energy she exerted on honking and raising her hands and clearly screaming at me in her car, was really pointless in the scheme of things!

So here's my suggestion for all of us!

Don't sweat the small stuff

If someone cuts you off, and its not going to cause an accident, let it slide, all you really lost was a second or two and in the scheme of things, that's nothing!

Hold the door open for someone, say thank you to people who help you in the grocery store, be patient with people, speak to people the way you wish to be spoken to, when people are rude and treat you poorly, don't engage, you deserve respect! And realize, it takes so much more of our energy to sweat the small stuff then it does to let it go!

I think that's the change we all need to focus on, and I believe, just that little change will make day to day living so much more pleasant!

No comments: