Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

I'm a New Englander, through and through. Circumstance and reality landed me in Florida and so I blog with knowledge of both worlds. As a New Englander, summer is a big deal. We celebrate Memorial Day with parades and barbeques and dreams of what a glorious summer we will have. We mark the mid-point of summer with July 4th celebrations, swim contests, watermelon, lemon meringue pie and corn on the cob. August ends with a bittersweet labor day, sweatshirts, campfires, s'mores and school looming. NEW ENGLAND knows summer holidays.

Here in Florida, we have summer all year round. And so, it is with sadness and nostalgia that Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day really fall into 2 categories; backyard beer fests or sale days at the mall.

Don't get me wrong, i love Florida in the winter when my friends are stuck with an icepick trying to defrost their windows and they are bundled up and freezing, but I MISS THE REAL SUMMER HOLIDAYS!

No comments: