Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I know there is a lesson somewhere to be learned!

Patience is not my virtue, i'm terrible in traffic, long lines at the pharmacy counter make me insane and stupidty! Lately i've been tested by the challenge of being the president of the board of directors of my condominum association. I KNOW, I KNOW, I deserve every horrible thing that comes with the job for agreeing to it!
Now the job itself isn't that hard, i've done it before and with experience and age, i know to ask a lot of questions regarding budgets, monthly reports, and i've learned that when there is a subject I don't know a lot about to invite a very seasoned board member to get involved. I am wise enough that in this uncertain economic time we don't spend like drunken sailors and that we prioritize. I have 2 members of this board who really are on my last nerve. I don't begrudge the board members that are on the board and need to be explained 100 times what our governing documents require to change things, they mean well. What does drive me nuts are the ones that comes in and wantsto be the monday morning quarter back, wans to make NEW AND IMPROVED the motto, of course the new and improved only has to do with things that they thinks are important.
These are the same board members who don't bother to check their mail in the office for a month and then complain that they too have a roofing contractor who could submit a proposal. Or the guy who thinks the association should pay him for his office furniture and spend money to make the floor and walls of the loading docks travertine! Here's what these board members haven't asked, what is our annual budget, what amount of money goes into our monthly continegency account, how many unit owners are behind on maintenance and what are we doing to correct the problem, what are the ways in which we can bring in money if possible.
I'm trying so hard to hold my tongue, to not let my head explode at a board meeting when they want to talk about moving the gym into the recreation room so that they can look out onto the pool deck. JOIN A FREAKIN GYM you cheap bastard!
But, i think the lesson i'm learning is that good things come to those who wait and when I sit at the meetings and stay calm and they start talking and the whole room is chuckling at their nonsense I realize that at the end of the day, at least for this term logic and practicality will prevail!

No comments: